From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 2010 18:22:49 -0800
Hi All,

Sorry for the slow response to the dysentery samples that you sent me this
spring, but spring hit me like a tornado, and I had to shelve them.

All the samples contained pollen grains.  In some samples the grains were
intact and undigested, with little "soup" between them.  In other samples,
there was a lot of unidentified junk (perhaps digested pollen or pollen
supplement).

Here are the results:
Scott Stanley, KS  clean (no nosema, no amoeba)
Dave Burrup Idaho all 4 samples clean
Cam Bishop MA clean
Bruce Bowen, WA  few nosema
Ray Michoud MA both samples clean
Morris Ostrofsky WA  clean
Tim Hiatt  WA  4 samples clean, 1 few nosema, 1 amoeba
And the last sample choked me up, as it had been sent by beloved beekeeper
Sara Willis from Alameda, CA, who recently passed away.  Her sample
contained both nosema and amoeba.

All nosema spores appeared to be N ceranae.  The two amoeba samples were of
different types of amoeba (the oval cyst, and the fried egg cyst).

No samples contained what I would call a serious infection of either
pathogen.
So, based upon these results,  if you see dysentery, I wouldn't jump to the
conclusion that your bees are infected with either nosema or amoeba.

Randy Oliver, catching up