From:
Hervé Logé <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Oct 2004 03:01:33 +0200
> Acute risks like chemical burns and incidents of
> inhalation
> are much more likely with a liquid than they would
> be with
> sodium cyanide powder, as one needs to get sodium
> cyanide
> powder wet to create any deadly gasses, and liquid
> formic
> acid is much easier to obtain than sodium cyanide.

Fair.
Now I think those 2 products present very diffent food
contamination risks. In fact, the idea of using cyanid
in the hive still makes me fall down of my chair.

> So, while there are LEGAL uses for formic acid,
> beekeeping
> and killing mites are not among them.  So just what
> part of
> the phrase "illegal use" is unclear?

That makes me wondering what is wrong. Is liquid
formic acid (FA) use for killing mites wrong ? Really
? Then it is time to alert the rest of the world. Or
is it wrong that the law is still not up-dated to
allow liquid FA use for killing mites ? Or is it wrong
that the law will not be modified because nobody has
interest to pay in order to obtain the use of a cheap
efficient treatment's authorization ? (and I am not
sepaking about a commercial specific products here,
just liquid FA).
What are the process and timetable to aurhorize oxalic
acid and FA flash treatment for example ?

Proper Haz-Mat training suitable for
> handling formic
> acid is expensive, and takes at least a week of
> classroom time.

I am afraid I missed something. Let say I have 1L of
FA for beekeeping application, stored in lab's
packaging. Just a virtual speculation. What is that
expensive Haz-Mat training suitable for
handling formic I should have ?
A week of classroom time ? It sounds a little bit long
to me unless you start from learning to read. A MSDS
does not take that time to read. We are not dealing
with tons of FA here. 1L is enough for a fair numbers
of year for a few hives...

Hervé
...only posting when I more or less disagree...just
means I agree most of the time !