Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2012 06:16:29 -0500
 Peter wrote:

I work them without any protective gear, just a little bit of smoke. Looking at
the videos of Dee hiving swarms, suited up like an astronaut, I think, what is
up with that? This summer I shot a video with a swarm covering my (partially)
naked body.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QotQ9Yr__xI

 I enjoyed the sight of yet another balding bearded beekeeper playing with bees.  It is one of my favourite tricks, particularly if there is an audience, to ease my hand into a swarm of bees. It's just like a nest of kittens: all warm and tickly.  I did it this summer at the Eden Project in Cornwall when the apiarist, Julie Kendle, was busy roping off from the public the area where a swarm had settled and was getting her kit.

I wouldn't, though, like to get them all over my face as there is always the chance of the odd kamikazi bee and I have only two eyes.

Chris