From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Dec 2007 11:17:52 -0500
There seems to be interest in my addition of the USSR to the argument
about sustainability, that is was a leap of logic.

How are we going to get to small "sustainable" farms, and get rid of big
agriculture and achieve all the rest of the desires of the sustainable
faithful?

Government is the only vehicle and the faithful are trying to use it. So
a look at the extreme of government management, the USSR, is valid.
Especially if you look at the posts on this list to breakup big
agriculture and do away with commercial beekeepers.If that is not
totalitarian in its thinking, then nothing is.

If anyone here thinks government is benign, they are in company with
Peter Pan. Just a look at some of the good intentions of our own
government recently. Congress mandated Folic acid supplements to many
foods to help prevent a small number of people with problems in
pregnancy. The only problem is, a recent increase in colon cancer has
been tied to the increase in Folic acid in our diets. The reason, Folic
acid is a cell grower and helps cancers to grow and not remain dormant.
So Congress, in doing good and help a few, has done bad and hurt many at
the same time.

Truth is, if you want to be sustainable, as I am in my agricultural
practices, it is an individual, market and social driven thing. That
works best.

When you are going to save the planet with irrational approaches, which
only the government is capable of attaining on a daily basis, then you
are moving into territory which all of us should be very concerned. If
you think that is impossible in any of our societies, you are not a
student of history. Or of some of our presidential candidates.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine