From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2023 10:08:37 -0400
> Throughout New York City, urban apiculture has grown at such a rapid pace that it verges on unsustainability...

If some performance artist beekeepers had even half the number of hives they brag about to gullible interns learning how to be reporters, then perhaps there MIGHT be some basis for concern.  But this concern has only been validated by hive scale data in Central London, where they have a law mandating the planting of a tree that does nothing for bee - "London Plane" trees.  The press interest in this issue means that anyone not debunking the misinformation gets to see their name in genuine print, so the performance artists (not to be confused with actual beekeepers who keep actual hives themselves) tend to opine on many subjects.  (The press just loves a narrative arc that goes from "save the bees!!" to "saving the bees is hurting this OTHER thing!", as it is two alarming stories from one set of misinformation.)

> As far as content goes, has anyone found information?

The group of novices who took my free course between 10 and 20 years ago, long ago became my colleagues.  None of us have any problem with honey crops.  The "beekeeping fad" ended long ago in the City, and the 5% to 10% who stuck with it enjoyed an excellent "buyers market" for used gear for a few years, as the hipsters slowly realized that bees were real work in hot weather, and decided to instead take up macrame, kimchee making, or craft beer brewing.

There are some sites that are flatly unproductive from the get-go.  For me, it is more an issue of wind turbulence in Manhattan (hence the need to explain Bernoulli's equation in a beekeeping class, as the wind velocity increases as it is "squeezed" between tall buildings, "laminar flow" can exist on the faces of large buildings, so on).  So, I moved all my hives to roofs just across 5th Ave from the eastern edge of Central Park.

Staten Island is very lush, but in Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx, there are some areas that are very much "concrete jungles".  If you look at this map, though...

https://eoimages.gsfc.nasa.gov/images/imagerecords/3000/3678/aster_newyorkcity_lrg.jpg
https://tinyurl.com/bde2hr9v

...you can see that there are few places not within a reasonable flight distance of a significant green patch, all of it pesticide and herbicide-free, per Parks Dept policy.
For scale, Central Park (the largest green rectangle on Manhattan) is 2.5 miles long and a half-mile wide, but foraging distances in urban settings tend to be far shorter than in rural settings.  Again, Mr. Bernoulli has the answers.

There's also a ton of street trees, and most of them are ID-ed and mapped -  See  https://tree-map.nycgovparks.org  Many of them are highly productive nectar/pollen species, and when Bette Midler (a vocalist and comedian who until very recently had an apartment at 94th and 5th) did her "Million Trees" campaign, we beekeepers were able to lobby for additional street trees that included a science-vetted list of "trees for bees", even including the Tulip Poplar, which, when in bloom, is likely also a boon for the car washes.

For my hives on 5th Ave roofs, overlooking Central Park, when something in the conservatory garden stops blooming, highly-skilled professionals jump out of trucks in the pre-dawn hours and replaces the plants past bloom with new blooming plants from the city greenhouses, so my bees enjoy an never-ending smorgasbord.

I really could not ask for more ideal conditions.  I take freight elevators from underground garages straight to roofs, so I don't even have to climb stairs carrying supers. The urban beekeepers in many other cities would say the same

I should also add that in a prior post, I disparaged some specific  "sellers of honey at farmers markets" in the urban core.  This should NOT have been read to include the legit and perfectly respectable beekeepers who come down from the Hudson Valley and areas north of the City to sell their honey, as they clearly run the requisite number of hives required to make all that honey themselves.  But anyone actually keeping bees in the City who does not sell out by Christmas is either a terrible salesperson, or a liar about the actual source of their honey.