From:
Arne Haugaard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 23:08:20 +0100
Does anybody have any idea as to how the bee hives can be treated to reduce the beetle ?

I´ve heard from Canada that freezing( - 20 degrees celsius) should do the trick, how ever
I have a hard time imagining a bee hive with frames at minus 20 celsius unless all bees are
already dead.

Then we have people on this site have opinions that contradict this freezing treatment,
yet they have no other idea as to how this beetle is fought !!!

Has anybody experimented with reading of tempertures inside the hives in hard frost ?
We know the "cluster" is about 35 degrees celsius - but what about the close surroundings ?

I find the debate about how the beelte is spread very sad, we should be thinking about
how we can treat our bees not fight ourselves as to how we´re moving bee hives eg.
There´s always going to be people who´ll not think about deseases or the things beekeepers
can do to minimize spread of them - and it will always be annother who´s guilty .....

in the hope of a more sober, cool and informative debate ;-)

Arnie

Ps. I presume that larvas eg. are killed when wax is melted.