Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2019 21:44:39 +0000
Here in the UK the only treatment for AFB is destruction of the colony by burning and burial of the entire contents of the hive including any honey. Therefore it would make sense,if there was a compulsory annual inspection, to do it in the Spring before they bring in honey.  The hive boxes, having been scorched, could then be given more bees to get a crop.
We don't have a compulsory annual inspection as described but every beekeeper is encouraged to keep a  constant watch for AFB and has a duty to report it to the Bee Inspector if it is suspected.  I found it in one of my hives in 2017 and, after destruction, the bee inspector visited with me all my other apiaries and inspected them, not finding any more. He told me that the most likely reason my bees had got AFB was that they had found a dumped honey jar as 94% of imported honey contains AFB spores!
As part of our membership of the British BKA we are insured against AFB and EFB with Bee Diseases Insurance, a company set up and run by beekeepers for beekeepers many years ago, They paid me compensation for the equipment that had been burned.
Chris