Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 18:16:23 EST
Has there been any recent research on Chalkbrood?  When I started beekeeping
it was pointed out as something I should be able to recognise so as not to
confuse it with anything serious.  You would find a small amount in most
hives but not much in any  although the spores were everywhere.  Now it is
running wild in many hives.  The increase seems to coincide with the arrival
of varroa but this may be only a coincidence.  It does not seem to subside in
a hive after treatment for varroa.  We used to be told that damp hives were
the cause, but the brood nest where it is to be found has the temperature and
humidity rigidly controlled by the bees.  I have read that increased CO2
levels to be found near respiring brood are a trigger, but again the bees are
sensitive to CO2 and are efficient at air conditioning.  Have people who have
increased ventillation in their hives through open mesh floors or additional
entrances found it helps reduce Chalkbrood?
Chris Slade