From:
Michael Reddell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 1997 23:09:27 -0700
Albert W Needham wrote:

> A couple of years ago I had a large number of swarms, I also noticed
> these groups of bees on the landing board that I would also describe
> as "washboarding". After the large number of swarms ( which I feel were
> mostly due to my allowing a bit of overcrowding to occur), I wondered if
> this
> behavior was any indication of swarms to come?
>
> Anyone ever notice any correlation here?

Yes.  Washboarding seems to happen during periods of inactivity such as
when nectar flow has stopped or just before/after a swarm.  I've also
seen it at other times though.  For instance last weekend I saw 2 bees
washboarding by the entrance to my observation hive.  Honey flow is on
and no signs of swarm.

Michael Reddell
http://www.hotcity.com/~mwr