From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2007 08:31:34 +0100
Larry Krengel asked about moving bumble bees.

I have moved bumbles on a number of occasions.   If they are in something
that can be picked up, then no problem, otherwise I put the nest in a
plastic washing-up bowl during the day and then come back at night to move
it when all the bees are inside.  (Wrap it in a loose-weave cloth).

Old beekeeping equipment is useful for housing them.  I have a colony in the
garden that I brought home a week ago.  It is in an old super that was
beyond repair, with similar condition floors above and below it to keep them
dry.

There are good books available from IBRA:
http://www.ibra.org.uk/shop/erol.html#1X0

and Northern Bee Books:
http://www.beedata.com/nbb/index.html
Sladen's 'The Humble Bee' is a classic.