From:
"Adrian M. Wenner" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2006 09:07:42 -0800
On Mar 14, 2006, at 4:17 AM, Peter Borst wrote:

> Adrian M. Wenner wrote:
>> Peter Borst already gave us a sketch of Tom Seeley and how he wasn't
>> really
> an entomologist.

    Sorry, Peter, I in no way meant to imply that Tom wasn't qualified
to work on honey bees.  I consider his not being an entomologist a
plus.

    When I was researching universities for graduate study, my
entomology professor advised me against going into an entomology
program.  He said that I should have a broader background and could
work in other fields of biology more competently.  I thus graduated in
zoology (with an emphasis in animal behavior) at the University of
Michigan in 1961 (finished in 1960, actually).  The advice proved
prescient.  When the research community rejected our work on honey bee
behavior in the late 60s and early 70s, I was already retooling into
marine biology research on crustacean growth and reproduction — coming
back to bee research after a two decade "sabbatical" when tempers had
cooled somewhat.

										Adrian