From:
Sid Pullinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 1996 11:29:46 GMT
< What is the W B C hive>
I intended to send this to the individual who asked and then I decided a
little English history might interest a few others.
W B Carr was an eminent amateur beekeeper of the late last century, editor
of a bee magazine and full of ideas for better beekeeping.  Using L L
Langstroth's discovery of the bee space he put forward his version of the
perfect beehive in 1890.  This was a hive with deep brood combs and shallow
supers made with fairly thin timber but with a separate outer wall of
telescopic "lifts" surmounted by a ridged roof and usually painted white.
It stood on four legs and looked very elegant in the garden.  Because of its
legs and double walling it was awkward to move around but in those days
there was little migratory work.  Even so some early commercial beekeepers
favoured it.
Because of Carr's eminence as a beekeeper the hive became extremely popular,
I started beekeeping in 1930 and it was still then the queen of hives.  I
used them until the outbreak of war when my beekeeping ceased for the
duration.  After the war single walled hives came into general use because
they were cheaper and less clumsy.  The W B C still has a few faithful
followers, still available from appliance makers and often found empty as a
feature in a flower garden.  Most countries have long since standardised on
one or two types but we have grown up with six different hives with six
different sizes of brood frames.  Not very sensible.  Standardisation is
still a long way off.
Sid Pullinger                    Email :  [log in to unmask]
36, Grange Rd                Compuserve:  [log in to unmask]
Alresford
Hants SO24 9HF
England