From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Dec 2005 09:05:04 -0500
I hesitated to approve Dee's original post, "Chinese Discover America in 1421" as it was only remotely related to the BEE-L charter, but it possibly opened the door (only a crack IMHO but ajar nonetheless) to the possibility that Apis younameit could have arrived in North America earlier than credited.  It's a long stretch, but not out of the realm of possibility.

The discussion has since denigrated into literacy vs bigotry and possible assertions that the Chinese travelers were adamant small cell beekeepers.  In the exchanges, anachronisms abound!  IF the Chinese arrived in 1421, realize that 1421 predates moveable frame hives and foundation mills.  There were no species cross-over possibilities in North America, and I don't think anyone anywhere has an idea of the Varroa population dynamics in 1421!

I'm not taking a stand on any of the assertions, I don't know it all.

But please folks, lets try to keep the discussion on topic.

Aaron Morris - thinking Informed and SUBSTANTIATED Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology