From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 2009 12:26:13 -0500
Hello Allen & All,
Allen asked me off list if I was attending the ABF convention in Orlando,
Florida (as have many others).

I am as I will be in Florida at the time like I have for as long as I can
remember. I will be staying in my "bee Bus" ( name given my RV by my friend
Kirk Jones) at the home of Horace Bell & family. My childhood friend, high
school
buddy and life long beekeeping associate for fifty years.

I received a message from an ABF person saying "We want you back". At least
they noticed I last attended in Austin a few years ago.

In Austin I was glad to see my longtime beekeeping friends (long list) but
left Austin pissed for a couple reasons of which I will share.

I write controversial articles for bee magazines. As time passes most beeks
understand many beeks are interested in these subjects but the very idea of
importing bees, neonicotinoids causing problems or possible problems with
their beloved HFCS upsets some beeks.

Yes I wrote the articles on the Australian imports. After all it was my
partner which received the first pallet imported from Brown's Bees
Australia.
Many beeks felt the import would cause the end of commercial beekeeping as
we
know it. Did not happen. The same type people in Canada screamed the same
when the first imported packages into Canada happened. However after over
two decades it seems those people were wrong.

I was on a bus with my wife going to one of the ABF events when a bunch of
hecklers confronted me about my articles. I politely said I would meet the
next morning and discuss my articles. The heckling kept on but I kept my
cool . The next morning none of the hecklers showed up to discuss my
articles.

I was upset at the problems Dr. Pamela Gregory had when she tried to report
the results of her presentation on possible issues with HFCS. A few members
upset her almost to tears! Enough I drove
a days drive to Weslaco, Texas
and did an article based on her research.

The above is now in the past and I am over being upset but at meetings I am
always willing to discuss my articles, sources etc.. I am not a person which
sits in the middle on an issue. I keep an open mind but chose a position. I
will admit when I am not correct as my friend Randy Oliver did a week ago.
Thanks randy! I do not possess all of beekeepings answers.

Time has passed since the first Australian import and most realize now their
fears were basically unfounded ( except maybe my friend Yoon!). Was not the
end of beekeeping and California queen producers are selling as many queens
and packages as ever. Did not take over the almond pollination business.

I see the website on the Tucson Bee lab ( Allen posted today) lists the very
research I pushed for at the
Austin meeting concerning HFCS. The wheels of progress are turning slow but
turning.

Horace bell says he is not attending the ABF convention. Possibly an officer
of the ABF might send Horace a note saying "We want you back".  Although we
are both basically retired. (retired to Horace Bell is now over 10,000 hives
and to me small commercial with help).

I will be at his bee farm around the time of the convention. Stop by and
look at the hives for sale. Most likely I will be around if not in the field
looking through hives. What Horace is doing is similar to what Allen is
doing. Expanding and selling off increase.

maybe BEE-L members can set a time and meeting place in Orlando.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison