Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 2004 02:09:11 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (35 lines)
Good morning folks.
It is past midnight in Virginia. Belated Thanksgiving to all.
    Please bear with me, (please do not feel tempted to "quit half down the page".
     1. I am sure that not everybody knows the science of aeronautics but all of us fly without questioning why airplanes fly.
     2. automobiles and trains are great forms of transportation and practically two thirds of the people in modern day use automobiles to travel from place to place without really knowing how their mechanism work.
     3.  we consume tons of packed nutrients prepared by and with very complicated machinery. I am sure that not every citizen that consume them knows the intricacies of how and why they are prepared that way.
     4.  I could go on for hours citing analogies in that venue. I hope that you will understand what I have tried to say with them. Read on.
     5. Spanish adage: "the worse kind of blind person is the one who does not wish to see."
    Now lets try to explain the mechanism and theory of why "FGMO works."
    There are many books and papers that explain the anatomy and biology of mites. I have explained in practically all my writings about how FGMO interferes with the biology of mites. I am fully conscious that any theory or thought that I propose is going to be looked at with a very fine lens, so I would not dare "invent" any concept which is not based on scientific knowledge acquired from many years of schooling and literary research.
It would take too much space and time to describe the whole process here. I suggest that those of you who may be inclined to disagree with the concept of effectiveness of FGMO to read my posting on www.beesource.com and to read the manual provided by Burgess with the Propane Insect Fogger. Thermal fogging is very effective not only against honey bee mites but also against a wide variety of mites and similar parasites.
     I have explained explicitly that FGMO kills mites but does not affect honey bees. It is based on differential size of their breathing mechanism. FGMO effectively blocks the breathing mechanism of mites but it does NOT block that of honey bees if applied in minute quantities (as per instructed in the literature using the fogger or as per instructions for emulsion-soaked cords or paper towels. I have explained the mecahnism of actgion FGMO in an article soon to be published for the benefit of those who wish to know how. At this poit I wonder:
     Dear readers: How many of us insist that doctors explain to us how and  why the medicines they prescribe work? The manufacturing laboratories explain, but how many of us read them, and if we read them are we capable of understanding the mechanism of action? Yet, we all trust our learned colleagues in the medical field. Why is it so hard for some to understand medicine when applied by a veterinary doctor (University of Penna, 1962) with a proven record of training and practice, professional beekeeper, retired from two high ranking US government careers?
    I have also taught children in school for whom I have a special regard. I remember some of them saying to me: "Give me a break."
Happy holidays and God bless.
Dr. Rodriguez

--
Proclaiming The Lordīs expression and creation with our honey bees.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

New! Netscape Toolbar for Internet Explorer
Search from anywhere on the Web and block those annoying pop-ups.
Download now at http://channels.netscape.com/ns/search/install.jsp

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/BEE-L for rules, FAQ and  other info ---
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

ATOM RSS1 RSS2