Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 2010 23:08:51 -0600
> I know at the beginning of the honey season I can add a queen excluder and
> a super.  But please tell me how many frames do you add to that super and
> when?  Is it a small number until they get going or do you add eight
> frames or what?

Although there are slight variations, the super is identical in number of
frames and spacing to the brood chamber.  Some people make the super frames
shallower (less tall) so the boxes are lighter, but commercial beekeepers
usually use the same frame size and type in all boxes.

> When do you add subsequent supers?

When the bees have most of the super drawn and filled unless there are too
many bees to fit in the hive and then you can add another.

Early in the season, adding supers is the best swarm control.  Late in the
season, we crowd the bees more so they finish the combs.  At that time
swarming is much less likely.