From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 08:11:09 -0500
JamesCBach wrote:

> Ken Hoare asks why I don't mention using a gas torch on AFB infected
> equipment.  Here is my answer.
>
> Years ago (1981) Dr. Gochnaur told me that 99.5 percent of the AFB spores
> are in the cells of AFB residue, and that while spores may be found in
> propolis, and honey in the brood nest (depending on whether there is honey)
> there are probably too few to break down a colony to further symptoms.  He
> mentioned, and I've seen it in the literature, that it takes about 50,000
> spores to break a colony down to visual symptoms (obviously depending on the
> hygienic behavior of the bees).

According to ABC and XYZ of bee culture, 2500 Million! spores of AFB are in
one dead pupa. .5% of that leaves 12.5 million spores outside the cell to
infect the bees or 2500 times the number needed to break down the colony-
from one dead pupa.

Obviously there are other things at work here than just numbers.

If we have exceptional beekeepers who manage properly, much of what Jim
says is probably workable. My experience has been with beekeepers who let
the disease progress to the point it spreads to the exceptional beekeepers
hives, not once but many times and over several years as the bad one reuses
equipment. With burning, the problem is eliminated in more ways than just
the disease. Generally the bad beekeeper eventually gives up. It can wear
the good one down too.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME