Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2010 09:40:03 -0700
> So, now we should go to the public and ask for "loan" money to put more
> bees back in these same hives, not knowing whether they are contaminated
> with lethal viruses or lethal chemicals? Knowing that if the bees die
> again, they will likely go bankrupt and default on the loans? Imagine the
> US government as proud owner of millions of empty bee boxes of zero value.

What is suggested is actually *loan* money, loaned on sound lending
principles, not a 'bailout'.  The beekeepers in question would normally have
been able to tap loans and keep on going, but their banks have gone bust or
quit lending -- or both.  Even a government guarantee will not necessarily
get blood from a stone.

There are ways to guess if the hives will immediately collapse or just
return to the normal probability of collapse.  I think Bob and Jerry can
comment on this.

Again this is not a problem that someone who has not been in business for
years would understand.

I recall back in the seventies, going to my bank with a good proposal with a
government guarantee  and being turned down.

I was somewhat crushed -- I had worked hard on it and it was sound -- and
the banker saw that so she said to me, "See the sign on the sidewalk?  That
is what I have to pay for money these days, and we are short.   It is not
you. Your proposal is good. the problem is ours.  Sorry".