Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 14:48:22 EST
Jerry,
I think you have done an excellent job in replying to Robt. Mann of New
Zealand.

You have done a fine job at describing to the Bee-L readers the atrocious
dilemma
of scientists in trying to get money to pursue basic research on honey bee
problems.
This is one of the few things that makes me feel satisfied that I am a RETIRED
scientist, who no longer has to skimp and scratch plus SEARCHING for money in
order to do basic research.

As you know, the existing beekeepers here in the states are literally
"crying" for help to control the mites, the small hive beetle, and now
resistant American Foul
Brood, and the universities, extension services, and federal government are
taking
away money for research rather than appropriating more.  This is being done
because our legislators are responding to the majority vote of URBAN people
who have seen too many "killer bee" movies and would like to "zone out" honey
bees from
their town or state, or maybe even the entire U.S. to lessen the chance of
being stung.  From my yearly work in county fairs, I know that the great
majority of
Americans have NO IDEA of amount of normal grocery store items we would do
WITHOUT if it were not for POLLINATION by HONEY BEES; and high of this list of
UNinformed people are our legislators, notably in the U. S. Congress where
party politics is far more important than the health of American citizens.
My home is just 15 miles from the WHITE HOUSE and I see the congressmen and
senators often,
and most don't know the difference between a honey bee and a mosquito.
I say "it" like it is and care not where the chips fall.

By the way, you did a fine job at the ABF meeting, and it was a good meeting
overall.

Before I forget, I vote "NOT" on the diffusion theory; and suggest you have
the mathematicians take a short course about apis mellifera.

George Imirie - entering my 69th year of beekeeping in Maryland