From:
T'N'T Apiaries <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 14:17:33 -0700
Dave Green wrote:

>    Remember that queens are programed to swarm in the second year. Queens
>year or less in age will swarm only if you severely crowd them. Second year
>queens are almost impossible to stop. So regular requeening and splitting
are
>the two management tools that serious beekeepers use for swarm control. All
>else is mostly extra work.

This is a pretty big generalization that needs to be addressed.  I was right
with him till this. His statement is like saying Italians wouldn't
overwinter,
Carniolians build more wax and on and on.  Different strains and lines react
differently and carry different traits.  In this area, we've all had stock
like he discribed, but if we'd kept running it, we'd have half the hives and
need twice the crew.

The first year theory:
I've seen lots of package queens heading for the bush with others from a
different supplier (or even same supplier, but different line) quite content
to stay put.  These queens aren't even 4 months old.   Same location, same
manager. Some queens can have lots of room, but they are gonzo before,
during or after (yes, we've even seen them go after) the flow.

I have had those colonies with new queens that you had to split and split to
keep home.   Great.  You end up with three or four units, utilizing extra
equipment and time, but the COMBINED end result is less honey than the
colony beside it.   From that colony you may have removed some brood, but
for the most part did nothing but provide the necessities.

The second year theory:
In our outfit we tag a hive anytime we introduce a queen and we only put in
about 25 to 30 % new queens a year. The last few years we have been marking
our queens also, so we have a pretty good idea whats going on.  If the old
girl or her daughter or granddaughter are making the grade we let them be.
It's surprising how many colonies haven't been "requeened" by us for five -
six years.  With the your generalization, yet deducting for our larger,
later splits, I should have over a thousand swarms a year. We see or hear
about maybe twenty and there are other beekeepers in the area.

After discussing this post with other "serious beekeepers" in our area, we
agreed "stock selection" is our number one tool for swarm control.   The
rest is work.

Perhaps because we have seen so many different lines (American, New Zealand,
Australian and now home grown) in western Canada we have seen just how much
diversity there is.  It is hard to generalize with bees and this is another
example.

David Tharle
Ardmore, AB

P.S.  Lisa in Indiana:  We would call your girls second year queens.  The
supplier of your queens "may" be able to tell you what characteristics to
expect, but you are far better off to watch what each individual hive is
doing as they may not all react the same. Even experienced beekeepers
sometimes have trouble judging whether a hive is disposed to swarming or
not.

DMT