From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 May 1998 10:32:36 -0400
Bob asked about the formic acid gel preparation developed by the USDA, and
when it will be available to the public.
From a confidential and very reliable source, I understand that the USDA has
licensed the technology to two US beekeeping supply firms.  They, in turn,
must obtain EPA certification (or license, or whatever), and develop or
purchase the manufacturing capability.  I am led to believe the EPA
clearance will not be a problem, but it surely must involve some paperwork.
The most optimistic projection I have heard is for the gel being available
this coming fall.  I personally think that the spring of 1999 is more
realistic.
My understanding is also that the gel will be  totally  effective against
tracheal mite, but only 80% effective against Varroa.  I believe the hope is
that beekeepers will be able to use the gel in the spring, against both
mites, and reduce Apistan use to once a year, in the fall.  In the fall,
Varroa populations are at their highest and it is important to get a 99%
kill in preparation for the winter.  There is some thinking that use once a
year, instead of twice, will slow Varroa resistance to fluvalinate.
I do not know if use of the gel will let beekeepers stop the summer-long use
of grease patties.
In my opinion, it is unlikely that the gel will sell for much less than the
equivalent cost of Apistan.  The best I am hoping for is that the gel will
stop the annual price increases we have been seeing.
Lloyd
Owner, Ross Rounds  the finest in comb honey production.