From:
Mark Coldiron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 13:33:45 -0400
Hello Everyone,

I need some advice.  A friend of mine called to say that her grandparent's
house, which has been vacant for a couple of years, now has a colony of
bees living in an old dog house in the back yard.  She wanted to know if I
could do something to get rid of the bees.  I decided that, because the dog
house was small and the bees had obviously been there for at least two
years, I would take the dog house, bees and all, and add it to my apiary.

The question is, how is the best way to get the bees out of the dog house
and into a normal hive that I can work.

Here's what I've done so far.   After finding a suitable location in the
apiary, I turned the dog house on its end so the door on top.  Then placed
a medium hive body with 8 frames of foundation and a frame feeder over the
door with an Imirie Shim to go between the house and the hive body.  On top
I put a standard telescoping lid.  But, how do I get them to move up into
their new home so I can do away with the dog house?

Mark (The Little/Coldiron Farm)

If what you're doing seems too hard...,
You're probably doing it wrong. :-)