From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2005 10:10:28 -0500
The original query regarding this topic was "So, I wonder if climate change
assessment on the bees and beekeeping industry has been performed by
councils and associations. How you, beekeepers in the front line of
environmental impacts, feel with regard to this issue."

I was wary of the topic from this very first post, realizing the potential
to get off-topic was immense.  The first half of the query was bee-related,
but so far no one has offered any change assessment on the bees and
beekeeping industry that has been performed by councils and associations.
Frankly, I'm not sure how such assessments would/could be performed.  As I
sit here and watch the 4 to 6 inches of forecast snow accumulate (typical
for February in these parts) I speculate that a bit of global warming would
benefit my bees.  Upstate New York is a harsh climate on honey bee colonies.
A week or two at both ends of the season can't but help my hives, and an
extra cleansing flight periodically throughout the winter certainly can't
hurt.  But this is speculation.

As regards the first part of the original query, as far as I know (and I pay
close attention) my local, state and regional beekeeping associations have
done nothing in regards to assessing the arguable long term effects of
global warming.

As far as the latter half of the query, I feel it's safe to say that there
are beekeepers that recognize global warming as a real phenomenon that needs
to be addressed, and there are beekeepers that recognize global warming as
bunk.  Is too, is not, is too, is not.

Aaron Morris - thinking let's stay on topic folks!