From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2013 23:19:18 +0000
On Sep 16, 2013, at 4:46 PM, James Fischer <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

But I've never gotten a satisfactory answer as to how, for years, Beltsville
and other labs found only Nosema apis, and then when Nosema ceranae was
cited as a possible contributing factor in "CCD", suddenly everyone started
finding an overwhelming percentage of Nosema ceranae, to the point where
Nosema apis seemed to become a rarity.

I would say, partly because nobody was expecting Nosema C, nobody was looking for it. But in the early part of the 21st century, labs were closing, staff was being let go, focus was on varroa resistant bees. When the CCD thing hit, suddenly there was a flurry of renewed interest in examining bee health more closely.

Depending on your point of view, this was a much needed restorative to bee research and researchers, or -- a scandalous exploitation of the difficulties of a few. Some speculate the whole thing was cooked up to generate funds for pet projects. Others point to the importance of a strong beekeeping industry which complements our agricultural system.

There is mounting evidence that N. C. came in through South America, much as did the varroa mite. Additionally, we are far from certain about what the original host is.

Pete