From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2002 23:05:48 -0500
Hello Mac and All,

> The article lists the small hive beetle as "the fastest growing honey bee
> pest in the US."

Fastest growing but small pest compared to varroa (in my opinion).

The article is out of date but the information correct. Documented spread
now is 25 plus states (instead of six).

 I have been making design changes in the way I process honey and recommend
others  in areas of the small hive beetle do likewise.

I do not see a big problem in the field except in weak hives. I predict
eventually many  hives  will  carry a slight infestation (as is the case now
in Florida).

 Many IPM methods are talked about on the Florida Beekeepers list. Read the
article Mac  posted and then read about the small hive beetle on Doc's
Florida Beekeepers list for methods not (yet) talked about on Bee-L.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison