Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jun 2018 14:18:30 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
The idea that simply adding some small amount of acid to a sugar solution and it will automatically become acidic is incorrect.  Natural waters always contain some amount of bicarbonate ion.  Depending on the water source the amount of bicarbonate can vary over a factor of 100 in concentration (1).   When you add acid to any natural water the first chemistry that happens is the bicarbonate is converted to carbonic acid.  Carbonic acid will produce water with a pH of about 5.8.  However, over a period of hours (or minutes if the water is bubbled vigorously with air) that carbonic acid will leave the water as carbon dioxide and the pH will revert to some other value.  If there is still some unreacted bicarbonate in the water the pH will be about 7.0.  Such a rebound in pH has been observed by just about anyone who raises tropical fish and attempts to adjust the pH of his tank water.  At one time years back I raised tropical fish that required water of pH = 5.5 for proper egg development.  I used to adjust the pH of fresh water in batches of 35 gallons a couple of times a week.  I used concentrated battery acid I bought at the auto parts store.  This is just sulfuric acid plus some water to give the right concentration for lead acid batteries.  It took a surprising amount of this acid to get me to a pH of 5.5 that would hold at 5.5 and not revert to 7.0.

My point is if you want to add vinegar, or any other acid, to sugar solutions you are feeding your bees part, or all, of the vinegar you add is just going to react with the natural bicarbonate in your local water and that part consumed by bicarb will not acidify the water in the slightest.  If there is some important amount of free acidity you need to give a positive impact on bee health you must take into account the bicarbonate concentration of your local water and adjust the amount of acidification agent accordingly.  The implication that one formula fits all is simply not reality.

(1) https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ie50209a035?journalCode=iechad

Dick

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2