From:
Kristina Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2018 19:29:09 -0600
   Years ago when I was working the swarm traplines in nothern Mexico and
South Texas we used ethyl acetate to dispatch swarms after taking behavior
data and before taking the rest of the data.  It's the standard in insect
killing jars.  I suppose we were collecting "specimens" not killing
"pests", but a small amount worked very quickly even in well established
colonies.  Residue evaporated quickly, but we didn't reuse the comb for
anything except candles.  We ate the honey, which only occasionally had a
sinus clearing effect.  We rehung the traps and bees renested in them.
Interestingly, the queen was often the last to die.  Some old timers used
ammonium nitrate in their smokers to knock out bees when needed.  Used
judiciously it was temporary.
   One of Frank Eischen's students did some work on how best to kill bees
in walls. Resmethrin was the most efficient, but I have no idea where it
went from there.  When AHB neared the boarder and then crossed, there was
some discussion as to whether exterminators were allowed to kill honey
bees, being a beneficial insect and all.  Homeowners had to sign ownership
of AHBs over to the exterminator who could then do what he wanted with them.
   If I'm killing a hive with AFB, though, I'm not worried about residue
'cause I'm burning the whole thing (as soon as I can find a place to do it
legally).
   Has a anyone tested wax moth frass to see whether it contains viable AFB
spores?
Cheers,
Kristina Williams
Boulder, CO