From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 2006 14:05:48 -0500
Mike Stoops makes some good points concerning compensation of inspectors.

Mark B should correct me if I am incorrect, but in rough terms today's NYS
inspectors earn roughly $14 an hour, plus medical coverage and pension.  I
think disability is also included.

The ongoing issue is that the inspectors are only employed 5-6 months.  I
think this cuts down on or eliminates benefits such as vacation, sick time,
personal time, paid holidays, etc. and means they must rely on unemployment
insurance for the 'off' months.  (Which they might not be legally entitled
to collect if they also 'run a business' (as beekeepers or as honey
packers.)

I think in some other states there is a State Apiarist or similar position
and only that person is employed for 12 months, with the inspectors also
being seasonal.

To me, the wages and benefits paid during the working season seems roughly
adequate.  Certainly well above NYS defined poverty levels.  (At least one
NYS organization that is committed to paying a 'living wage', has set the
'living wage' level at $9 an hour (here in Albany).

If we could somehow get the amount of money budgeted for the inspection
program into the hands of the Extension people at Cornell, I think NYS could
have one great beekeeping extension program that could really 'help'
beekeepers in many aspects of their operation.  Given all that goes on at
Cornell in beekeeping I think that might give good summer 'inspection
coverage' plus providing 2-3 'inspectors' 12 months employment.

Realistically, I don't think the above suggestion has a chance in hell.  But
it is too bad that it doesn't.

Lloyd

--
Lloyd Spear