From:
Karen Oland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 23:59:51 -0500
Yes, let's drop the religious aspects of the discussion. Instinct is
hard-wired, just as when a body breathes and its heart pumps, even when
unconcious.  A newborn baby "knows" how to suckle (even deal with being born
in while the mother hibernates, if a bear, or find the way into a pouch for
an extended period post-birth, if a marsupial).  Bees "know" how to do the
tasks required, even withouth any adult bees around to teach them.  A lot of
work on neural networks has been complemented by work on how nerbes in
brains work -- once "trained"  (via evolution or any mechanism of your
choice), the network can be hardwired to perform whatever tasks are
required.  No intelligence required. Let alone some type of inherited past
life experience.