From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 08:58:11 +0000
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> There is research going on using smoke to get mite drop.
I heard there was a session at EAS '99 by Penn State discussing this research.
Any list members attend?  Any reports?

> I have heard that sumac smoke is a good varroa dropper.
When this was reported at a recent meeting of my beekeeping association, it was
also stated that attempts are being made to identify the active ingredient
which may lead to a manufactured treatment (possibly another strip?).  A
member quicklu quipped, "Yeah, so we can buy something rather than burning
sumac!"

Before the concerns get posted, the sumac discussed is Staghorn Sumac (the
mature red bobs), not poison sumac.  Apologies for no Latin names.

Aaron Morris - thinking Billy Joe Sumac Bobs!