From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2007 18:40:12 EDT

[log in to unmask] writes:

The survival of the "feral colonies" was not due to any  unique
>trait of the bees, but instead, due to traits in the  local
>population of the >>>VARROA mites>…Because the  difference in the Aront
Forest is in the
>VARROA, not in the  bees.

The point as I understood it was that where colonies are clustered in  an
apiary the mites always have an alternative home in case of causing the  host
colony to collapse. When colonies are widely separated as in the Arnot  forest
the mites have nowhere else to go so it is in their interest  not to exterminate
the host.  Tom didn't explain the mechanism  though.

Chris