From:
Geoff Manning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2013 18:50:41 +1000
On 27/09/2013 12:38 AM, Bob Harrison wrote:
> My study subject addresed the question.
> "If a mature beetle can lay eggs and the worms cause problems in a week is that female done?"
>
> Does said female lay eggs repeatedly over the time period
> When it seems SHB is most active which can cover months?

There are eggs in the hive all the time.  Like wax moth, normal healthy
hives clean them up.

> Based on my findings i believe SHB could be a bigger problem than wax moths to beekeepers in the future.
> Especially in stored  equipment.
Others indicate they are a problem.  I and a few close mates do not.
Certainly if there is pollen stored in the combs there will be beetle
there, how bad depends on amount and temp.. Brood there is also
attractive.  That said I have not found it a problem, but the I do not
have wet combs around normally.  However I did have some supers of honey
left for over twelve months with no beetle damage. Our humid climate did
not do the honey a lot of good.

> We saw less beetles the two yearsof drought but now wet weather has returned and so have the beetles.

Our experience is that this is not a consistent phenomenon.

> We had bumper year for melons and canalopes so i believe
> SHB is reproducing in those.

Do you have evidence for this.  I tried to induce it but a total failure.

> Onefarmer was talking about the black beetles in his broken open cantalopes and the funny looking worms.

And well he might.

Geoff Manning