Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2012 08:17:54 -0400
I found, when examining the drone brood in the frames, that in many cases

> I couldn't hardly find a mite, so no percentage in cutting out the drone
> brood at that time.  I use a cappings fork to lift out some pupae to see
> whether it is worth cutting out the brood.

Discovered that by accident. A metal capping fork lifts the cells so you
can see the brood easily.

Total aside. Interesting that even with first year colonies, one recently
blossomed with Varroa when there were few only a few weeks before. It is a
strong colony and might have picked them up from robbing. Reminded me again
that  a snapshot in time with Varroa can change dramatically in late summer
and fall. Thought I might get by without treating but the formic pads are
on.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine