From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 09:00:46 -0400
Several beekeepers have asked my privately, and one via Bee-L, what setup I use for my screened bottoms.

I use hive stands, more or less 10" above the ground.  The hives (screened bottoms) rest on 1.5" supports back and front, so the screens are open to the ground but are "protected" by the 10" stand material.  (Think of the hives as being on 2 X 12's, set on their sides.)

The guy who has run his bees with screens for bottoms for 40-odd years has his on pallets.  I bought some hives from him and some remain on the pallets, but I have moved most to my stands.

Hope I have helped.

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, Inc.
Manufacturer of round comb honey equipment and Sundance pollen traps