From:
Mats Andersson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 16:05:07 +0100
I have a question for you all. Hope someone can help enlighten me:

I've read about swarm traps. I never used one myself and i know no beekeeper
who (to my knowledge) uses them. If i understand it correctly, i could set
up a box near a beeyard and a swarm from there could potentially decide to
move into the trap. If i'm right so far, i'd like to ask the following
questions:

-What is the ideal shape and setup of a swarm trap? Will an empty super with
frames on a simple bottom board do? (foundation, drawn comb, brood comb?)
-How do i make sure wax moths don't invade the trap before bees do?
-How big is the chance of "catching" a swarm this way?

I am asking mainly because i have a beekeeper close to one of my beeyards
who manages his bees in some old fasioned way that makes them swarm all the
time. He never gives them more space than the equivalent of 2,5 ten frame
langstroth boxes (two brood boxes and one super of a swedish frame format)
so i'd be surprised if he has a colony that doesn't swarm. And yes, i HAVE
tried to talk to him, but he's 86 years old and he says he's been keeping
bees for 40 years and i'm only 36 years with five years experience and he
won't take any advice from me. As a matter of fact, he won't even talk to me
after he found out i get more honey per colony than he does ;-)

I just want to catch his swarms and make sure they don't spread varroa more
than neccessary.

Mats Andersson, Stockholm Sweden