From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 08:13:20 EST
In a message dated 99-03-18 03:58:11 EST, [log in to unmask] (Ron Auble) wrote:

<< I've run into another, "new" problem. Went out to retrieve and refurbish a
 hive that had died over the winter. When I opened the box, I was surprised to
 find a covering of mold growing over everthing. Guess I should have expected
 this with the current warm wheather (63 degrees) dead bees and honey.
Question
 is, what can I do about this condition now? Can the frames be cleaned in some
 manner and used? Do I need to discard everthing? Original inspection took
 place approx. two weeks ago, (30 degrees) and no indication of dease was
 found. Believe the population was to small going into winter, my fault should
 have combined. >>

     Mold is not a serious problem, good strong bees will clean it up so fast
you won't believe it.

     First, do a post mortem. You should be SURE why your bees died. Run a
search on the archives for past years about this time for more.

     Second, clean out all dead bees and debris. Let the hive dry out. This
will stop further mold production.

    Third, if you found no trace of foulbrood scale, use the combs
again.....as a super on a good hive, or to install a nuc or package. If you
install new bees, rather than a full strength hive to clean it out, give them
a good feed to get them started.

Dave Green   SC  USA
The Pollination Home Page   http://www.pollinator.com
The Pollination Scene   http://members.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop on the Internet  (honey & beeswax candles)
http://members.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm