From:
Juandefuca <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 18:27:44 -0500
Hi Dan
What you write in your post is of value to me because I was never sure about
the effect of pollen collection.
There is another post relating to human consumption. The bulk of collected
pollen is indeed for human consumption without apparent ill effects.
Furthermore  there are apiaries which are geared for pollen collection
ONLY.Those enterprises must dry it and pack it in 55 gal drums suppling  the
packers and then to retailers . It is indeed a BIG business.
Going back to my observations last summer when I was inticed to try the
method with a bottom pollen trap. Firstly I noted a consistent pattern of
collection by the bees of specific pollen , proving that bees harvest
specific flora although the colonies were adjacent to one another .Secondly
, I found no evidence of the bees lacking pollen because of the collection.
As far as the impact of honey production goes , I have not the slightest
idea since the source is unknown.Also I am unaware whether the commercial
pollen people produce also honey or ignore this part of the business.
May someone on this list may enlighten us.
JDF