From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 20:26:05 -0400
Greetings
I suspect that many beekeepers do not take Coumaphos seriously
enough. I know at least one beekeeper who refuses to put on gloves
when applying the strips and handles them with a pair of pliers. To
me, this is foolishness.

Personally, I don't use very much of this product but even so, I have
had cholinesterase baseline testing done so that I can have my
cholinesterase levels tested at any time to guard against the harmful
effects.

On the other hand, I believe the product can be used safely.

James Fischer wrote:
>Organophosphates   are so hazardous that the EPA says something that
>they have never said about any other pesticide.  They admit that
>there IS no safe way to handle this class of chemicals. They are
>readily absorbed through the skin, but there is no type of glove
>that can protect you.  The stuff goes right through all available
>types of protective gear.

I would like to see these assertions backed up with some
documentation.  This is a pretty serious statement to make, and not
support in any way. I am under the impression that heavy green
nitrile gloves are adequate protection against Coumaphos strips.

All the same, I wouldn't be surprised if beekeepers are applying
these strips wearing leather gloves, which would probably be worse
than no gloves at all.

pb
--

Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>