From:
"Lear, Eddie(ENL)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 08:44:33 +0200
Subject: Re: smoker

You need to be very careful using baler twine for smoker fuel as most twine
is treated with chemicals. I to at times use twine but not as much as I used
to. JIM

Has there ever been any research done on smoking fuels?  I have been led to
understand any fuel which clogs up a smoker with tars etc. are carcinogenic.
For that reason I have refrained from using leaf material, paper based card,
textiles, etc.. I use pine needles which give a very thick cool smoke only
if I can't find anything else. I have found however, cow dung most effective
and there is no build up of tars etc..  I'm told that the nutrients which
produce tars are consumed by the cows digestive system leaving the dung with
little material to produce carcinogenic laden smoke.  I know enough
beekeepers who are suffering from emphysema as a result of using pine
needles or cardboard in their smokers to make me weary.

Any comments?

Eddy Lear
South Africa