From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 11:59:34 -0400
Peter Borst said:

> I made a clear strong effort to discuss this topic. I presented
> several sides, and members presented others. Some accusations
> were made and the thing died. Is this the best we can do?

Everyone wore themselves out refuting the claims that "GM bees"
were being developed.

As for the other aspects:

a)  Yes, GM plants are scary.

b)  Yes, bees are a significant vector for cross-pollination of GM
     crops with both non-GM crops and native species.

c)  Yes, the "safety zones" established by regulators are too
     small to prevent bees from continuing to be vectors for
     the spread of GM traits, and associated collateral damage.

d)   And yes, the spin doctors that work for the multinationals
      certainly will try to make bees the "villains" of any scenario
      where something bad happens as a result of (a) through (c).

But if you want to organize resistance to GM foods or GM in general,
there are many existing groups that share your concerns.

The good news is that there is a growing "marketplace backlash"
against GM foods, and many farmers are returning to non-GM crops
to insure that they can sell their crops for top dollar.

I would LIKE to see a GM-modified cross between a bee and a firefly.
This development would allow me to continue working hives well past
sunset.  :)

Just kidding!

        jim