Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 2010 09:36:41 -0700
?>> It is my sense that some folks buying these breeders don't understand this,
and think they are starting with "resistant VSH genes

> I don't think I've read anything either online, in the books, or in the
> journals criticizing this approach and pointing out the pitfalls... and I'd
> love to hear others thoughts and criticisms on the subject.

We have discussed this here back in the SMR days when the stock which
eventually became VSH were first being selected and several times since, so I
don't know if you have been to the archives or not.

At any rate, the obvious drawbacks of the SMR stock have been mitigated
considerably and I don't know if anyone here is deeply enough involved with VSH
to be able to discuss the matter in the depth that is necessary to deal with
your concerns.  Adam set up a forum at VSHbreeders.org some time back and that
venue is specifically for VSH discussions.  Access was by invitation or request
initially, and since I am a member and logged in permanently when I visit
(occasionally) I am not aware if there are still access restrictions.  If so,
simply requesting access and stating your interest and reasons should obtain
access if appropriate.

I am not suggesting that we should not continue to discuss this question here,
but merely pointing to a potent resource for those who are deeply interested.
I hope that anything of interest will be summarised here.

Here is a portion of one of the introductory messages at VSHbreeders.org:

--- begin quote ---

A few things have changed. General consensus is that VSH can be blended into
any population. Specific VSH traits are layered into an existing population
making the population hardier, yet selecting for VSH is still difficult.

Tests/assays are available for gross selection in mite tolerance and hygienic,
mite specific behavior, yet many breeders still use
survival as the final selection test with their untreated populations. Thus,
basing a breeding group on stock confirmation or ranking of degrees of VSH is
difficult at this time.

All involved here believe that a robust exchange of breeding stock will enhance
populations expressing VSH and hardiness. Hopefully, we can work together
collectively to facilitate some international germ-plasm exchange as well
because currently, this is not easy and we're busy breeding bees, and do not
have the time to wrangle with import/export regulations and the bureaucracy
that implements them.

--- end quote ---