From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2006 00:03:08 -0500
Hello P.O.,

 You and I have discussed the virus subject before. I have learned quite a
bit since we last talked. Private research is way ahead of published
research.

In the first years of varroa Dr. Shiminuki simply called the virus problems
associated with varroa "Parasitic Mite Syndrum" (PMS) because little was
known. Simply bee lab ID of a problem without providing a solution. Or even
looking for a solution.

In fact the U.S. bee labs were of little help. U.S. Commercial beekeepers
looked to the U.K. ( Brenda Ball & Norman Carrick and the work of Bailey)
for help. After countless samples were shipped and countless phone calls
and emails the virus issue began to fall in place. Dr. Carrick let me read
his virus presntation before publication. The U.K. is light years ahead of
U.S. bee labs on the virus issue. Also willing to help U.S. commercial
beekeepers learn about virus issues. They sent pages and pages of research
most of which I have read.

The virus trail has led to the place we are at now. Virus spore
contamination of comb. Never talked about on BEE-L but hinted at by me.
What you report seeing now is what we started seeing a decade ago.

Low varroa counts but bees with DWV, PMS signs and hives crashing. We still
have got researchers going from bee meeting to bee meeting telling
beekeepers the exact number of varroa in a test in order to tell when to
treat. None ever speak of virus issues.

What you saw with survivor bees ( Russian) is what I saw after four years.
Bees with small clusters are much better able to survive varroa than
prolific bees. We were certain of the fact from the late 80's.

When you take a large number of hives and leave untreated (Live and let die
method) then the result is always the same. Hive of bees which is not
prolific ARE the survivors!

The Russian imports are a mixed bag in  imported form but have one
important thing in common. The Russians keep a small cluster and shut down
with every change of the weather.

I have found a few exceptions to the rule in Russian stock but so far F2
offspring have returned to being not prolific. Reason I dropped both
Russian bees and survivor stock. I still have got a yard of possible
prolific survivor queens but am not holding my breath.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

Ps. I was going to send the above directly to P.O. but thought at the last
minute the list might find of interest. The above has nothing to do with
small cell!