From:
Tim Arheit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 09:15:54 -0400
At 12:59 AM 7/20/01 +0100, you wrote:
>management". My yield is better if I take 2nd year production colonies,
>worse if I divide by all colonies. Is splitting as used in USA primarily
>swarm control, or is it used as to increase honey yield too? Book can be
>ordered from FIBKA website, or UK beebooksellers.

Both in my area of the US (NW Ohio).  But it depends greatly on when your
honey flow is.  Areas that have a early honey flow don't have time to build
up after splitting, but here the honey flow just started a few weeks ago
and should continue for several weeks or longer (and probably later than
usual due to late planting of crops).  So here there is plenty of time to
build up splits, In fact the hive that looks like it will be my best
producer was started from a split in May.  I've also got two swarms from
late May/early June that look like they will produce at least one super
(after pulling two deeps from foundation).

-Tim