Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 18:40:55 -0600
> Hello,

>    I am to do some research for a club report on swarm lures & traps.

<snip>

>   I know about paper pulp traps but what lures are used? Pheremones? How can
> one have better luck luring swarms into an empty hive?  Swarms like cedar
> trees but why?
>
>    Thanks, Harry

Harry,

I use the type of trap you described with predictable success, provided
I pick the right location - persimmon trees in bloom around the end of
May. I've never seen swarms in cedar trees but I'll take your word for
that.

I've used the pheromone caps like the ones from Mann Lake. I don't know
what is in the capsules, and I can't swear they are that effective in
attracting the swarms. This year I will try a trap with a frame of brood
comb instead of the lure to see how that works. My guess is the comb
will be just as effective and I can save a couple of bucks not buying
the lures.

AL