From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2007 20:42:10 -0600
Hello Adrian & All,
I was going to email Adrian direct but thought I would send via BEE-L as I
have seen Adrian Wenner post this week.

Adrian I recently came across a copy of a second edition of a very old book.

"The Honey Bee" By the Goulds

The first edition was in 1945 by James Gould & Carol Gould

The second edition was in 1988 by James & Carol Gould

I read the first edition years ago but picked up the second to see what was
different.

 Chapter four!

The Dance-Language Controversy.

Had you seen the book & chapter four Adrian?

Summing up the chapter:

On page 83 the Gould's give you and Wells kudos for the controversy.

On page 82 however the Gould' point  out :

" Wenner and Wells were misled by their assumption that if bees communicate
by odor under one set of circumstances , then they must use odor in all
cases."

Comments Adrian ( as we have a huge number of posts in the archives about
the controversy but none to my knowledge about the Gould's point of view.)

I gathered from reading the book the Goulds had done experiments to prove
Wenner & Wells hypothesis incorrect?

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

" Has signed copy of Anatomy of a Controversy by Wenner & Wells"

--
believed to be clean.