From:
Peter Detchon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 2010 15:47:48 +0800
Charlie said ".....sounds like infestation out of control."

I had been hoping that Trevor Weatherhead would jump in and save me the trouble.....but he appears to be missing in action.

Charlie, I wish you could have been privy to the regular information bulletins that Trevor has been releasing to the Australian industry since this episode began, because then you would understand that this is not an infestation out of control. Quite the opposite in fact. You have to realise that as the nests are eliminated and the incursion is reduced in size, the finds become smaller, and further apart in time and space. In fact these finds are not so much "finds" as colonies that have been deliberately tracked down and hunted out, often after the sighting of a single bee.

Here in Western Australia we are a very long way from this incursion which is in Queensland (as the crow flies, about 3500km away in fact). So for us, the concern about the incursion and how it is being handled, is as serious as it is for you. But the team handling it have been very professional and dedicated to the task of eliminating it altogether. None of us want these problems any more than you do. We  have every confidence that they will succeed, because nobody here is even thinking about tossing in the towel.

PeterD