From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 08:27:42 -0500
Hello Mark and All,
Mark wrote:
I was inspecting the brood chambers of a few of my hives and  I   ran across
a couple that had larvae with a very faint yellow hue to them.

Apparently the larva has enough of a yellow hue for you to consider the
larva *abnormal* compared to other larva you have looked at . If so I would
keep a close check or treat .
 I suspect maybe you are seeing the start of European foulbrood. European
foulbrood afects the larva stage (most of the time but not always)  and AFB
effects the pupa stage.

Terramycin will normally clear up EFB.

EFB and Afb are fairly easy to tell apart in early stages.
There are  several other possible larva conditions which could cause yellow
larva but early stage EFB is the most common.

Many times the larva turn yellow at first aand then brown. Many times then
the tracheal system becomes visible as a glistening vein like network
throughout the larvel body. Once in a scale the scale is removed by the bees
quite easily (unlike AFB).

I could add quite a bit about the disease but all bee books in the library
contain information. In my opinion you are looking at early symptom EFB.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison