From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2007 18:29:12 -0400
Bill said "which
is now found even in the NEUSA but not in Arizona"

Bill...you failed to mention that the AHB is also not found in a very small
area of NE Texas; although it is found in the rest of Texas, Louisiana,
etc.  A certain well-connected producer of queens happens to reside there.

Concerning the AHB being found in the NEUSA, a couple of years ago I caused
a firestorm when I casually mentioned the "the AHB was not found in NYS".  I
was accused of all kinds of malfeasance, not to mention that I didn't know
what I was talking about.  (As it turned out, the NYS Inspection Service
sent bees from the hive in question for analysis and it turned out to be the
'first' positively identified AHB hive in the state.)  But I digress...

In a conversation last week I was told by a migratory beekeeper who winters
in FL that "we all are bringing them north because we don't necessarily know
they are Africanized when we put them on the truck.'  'After a few weeks in
the NYS yards, you find out in a hurry which ones are Africanized, and keep
away from them when in the yards unless someone else is there to smoke them
while you take the cover off.'  'If you drive next to them they attack the
truck and it sounds like buckshot bouncing off the cab."

This particular guy has not seen any signs that other hives are becoming
Africanized, through supercedure or swarming, while up north.  He takes 100%
of his bees south for the winter so has no idea how well they would do at
over wintering in NYS.

--
Lloyd Spear
Owner Ross Rounds, Inc.