From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2011 22:41:11 -0500
> Of course the word "Swarm" has a specific meaning to beekeepers. Others
> may
> use the word to describe a settled colony. I just wanted to note that an
> actual AHB swarm is as gentle as any other for a week or two. When they
> get
> some comb built they turn mean.

In Florida with the *off the boat* AHb swarms are very aggressive as I
reported in my American Bee Journal article based on speaking with the
Florida bee inspectors.

A member of the list does bee removal in Florida with AHb and maybe he will
comment.

I have first hand experience with AHB and like Danny Weaver (Texas)said
smoke only pisses off some AHB.

I will concede that each swarm is different in the U.S. and some swarms or
even AHb in colonies in Arizona are docile but the news media has warned to
not mess with feral swarms and warnings to leave AHb alone are posted in
many areas and leave removal to beekeepers.

The "Killer Bee Guy" ( Booth I think his name is) does not impress me. I
have forgot as much about beekeeping as he knows but he provides a service
(for a fee) which fills a need.

The news media was looking for a story on a slow news day. Also the story
said a 1000 pound pig was stung to death. The story said one person received
60 stings. There were no human deaths only a pig close to one incident.

I hate stupidity! Both these cases could have been avoided.

There are people ( beekeepers?) which are making big bucks playing off
peoples fears. I talked to a lady in Nebraska which called a beekeeper ad in
the phone book with a real European swarm in a tree in front of her house. A
person showed up with a card board box in street clothes and she said was
talking on his cell phone while shaking the swarm in the box. Took about 15
minutes & Handed her a bill for $300 dollars.(which she paid)

I  have two friends which do bee removal. One in Missouri and the other in
Kansas. I have referred people to both for a couple decades and they are
honest and always discuss price (with estimates) before work is started.

I told her over the phone the price was way over priced but partly HER FAULT
(silence on her end & I thought for a minute she had hung up!) for assuming
she would be treated fairly and not *asking* what the service would cost in
advance.

My business phone when out last week so I called on my *cell phone* for a
repair. After I told her I had no dial tone the lady asked if I wanted the
repairman to call 30 minutes before he arrived. I told her if I had phone
service I would not be calling for a repair! Duh!

bob

Ps. I never met an Africanized swarm or hive I could not handle but I have
met a few I would not want to handle without some protection. I have worked
two hives which were only pissed off when smoke was used. Whenever disturbed
the bees poured out of the hives stinging. These bees were not in Texas or
Florida.