Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 2010 16:26:24 GMT
From: allen <[log in to unmask]>

>Showboating to bystanders is always fun, but if there are old folks and babies in prams ,and no line of retreat, not warning them or sending them away is irresponsible to the point of being negligent.

Agreed!  I find myself often in the position of opening a hive with beekeepers, wannbeekeepers, or just interested non-beekeepers.  In such situations, always have a smoker lit and have your own protective gear handy (as Allen said, sometimes you just need to close things up).

We also purchased some mosquito nets (for the head) in bulk, and offer them at cost for spectators (this is not good protection, but enough to prevent mass face stinging and allowing for retreat if necessary).  If anyone really wants one but does not have $5, I let them borrow one.

I feel pretty strongly that if the bulk of our spectators are not wearing a veil, I should not be wearing one (but I have been known to put one on in the middle of an inspection when/if it becomes necessary).

The best trick I've found for "showing off the bees" is to use a 5 frame nuc, and move it prior to opening.  This way, most of the field bees return to the original spot, and it's easy to find the queen in a 5 frame nuc.

One thing, _never_ promise anyone that they won't get stung.  The first time we opened a hive in front of others (we were first year beekeepers at the time, and visiting a friend who knew even less than we did) there was a mother and young daughter present that were interested.  Ramona told them they wouldn't get stung if they stood a bit back...of course the mother was stung on the eyelid and had to remain calm in front of her daughter.

deknow